Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Human Condition

Few things make me realize just how right on track I am in going into social work and psychology than watching the evening news. I have long avoided watching any news programs. In fact, if you ask my Dad about the time he brought up Waco, TX to me when I was a teenager, you’ll laugh.

After seeing the news coverage for the recent shooting of Arizona Congresswoman Giffords, I was barely able to contain my tears watching it. And the funny thing is, I don’t know these people. They are strangers. Yet I feel something so deep inside it nearly rips me apart. {The same can be said for child abuse, animal cruelty, the mentally ill or racism/prejudice in our society.} I feel not only a huge amount of grief and heartache, but also, pride in other humans who take initiative, sacrifice and put their lives in danger for the sake of another. I feel hope that the whole world hasn’t gone mad and that there are still good people out there. And I pray that one day I will be one of them.

I thank God everyday that He made me as empathetic, compassionate, caring, loving, sensitive and emotional as I am. Having been made fun of, criticized, dumped or cast off by friends or ex’s because I was “too emotional or sensitive” makes me feel sorry for those who can’t feel what I do.

I embrace it.

I am happy to feel such a full range of emotions. And I plan to do something with it – something constructive, positive and beneficial. I found my life calling and knowing most never find theirs, I know I am blessed.

I am dying to get started on my path into social service and helping those who need it. I used to hear the saying “One person can’t change the world” but I no longer believe that. It is in everyone’s power to do so. They just have to want it badly enough.

No comments: