Friday, October 29, 2010

Horror Kitsch

Horror movies are tops, in my opinion. The worse, the better. I really don't care about quality either. B or C budget? Sure.
I pretty much love anything and everything to do with horror, monsters, ghosts, supernatural, goth. You get my drift.

I compiled this list based on what I love and obsess over...and I make no apologies.

1. Vampires.



Oh, I know. I know what you are thinking. So "cliche, so trendy, so juvenile." Well, let me get something straight here. My love of vampires is not based on Twilight, True Blood or even, Buffy. It started way back, like 1985. I was weird; I loved horror movies even as a child. And, I rarely was scared. In fact, one of my earliest memories is watching "The Lost Boys" and being seriously pissed that Kiefer Sutherland got killed. Not that I wanted the "good guys" to die, just that I thought "Why are the vamps always getting picked on? They're just hungry!"

And, add to this I was reading Anne Rice years before the movie, "Interview with the Vampire" was even out. I go way back to the Bela Lugosi and the Gary Oldman's. Capiche?

But, I admit. Edward is yummy.

2. Crappy Horror Films

As I mentioned, the crappier the better. Seriously, I love bad acting, awful effects and fakeness. It makes for even more entertainment, in my opinion. I have a few that I love and they are beyond awful.
*Trick or Treat
*To Sleep with a Vampire
*Rawhead Rex
*Night of the Demons
*Fright Night 1 & 2
*any Elvira movie
*The Unnameable
*all of the Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween and Friday the 13ths

3. Goth Music

I didn't truly get the "goth" title until I was about 10. But even then, Motley Crue was all I could see so I ignored just how much I loved The Cure, Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus. Until I moved to Idaho. no clue why that happened then but it did and I spent many happy years, alone in my room, writing emo poetry and developing my now "tradesmark" eyeliner.

4. The "Look"

Which leads me to: The Look. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, I have always resembled a witch/vampire. No matter how I try to "tame down" my look, it really does no good. So, I just go with it. There are worse things, I'm sure.

5. The Guys


Yeah, yeah. I've been made fun of forever about this. I have never been a fan of Brad Pitt's or George Clooney's. Give me a Criss Angel, Brandon Lee, Marilyn Manson any day.

Years ago, when the Tom Green show was on, a friend of mine made fun of me relentlessly for a naive, air headed comment I made. Basically, on the TG show, he had a magazine called "Deathly Man Magazine"...it showed pics of guys who were pale, sickly and on drugs. Now, one of the guys I thought was cute and I was like "Where can I get this magazine?!" And...it was a joke. Not a real magazine and I was sad. My friend laughed so hard at me...I really don't blame her.


No comments: