Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Quitting: Not always a bad thing!

Well, I am finally gonna do it. Quit smoking. *sigh* I can't believe I'm going to do this but it needs to happen.
I took my first drag when I was about 11. I took some of my Grandpa's cigarettes and hid them in my little white purse like I was such a bad ass. Haha! Years later, at 16, I was a 2 pack a day smoker. Yuck, I know. I've gone from Menthol to Marlboro Reds, to Ultra Lights to cloves back to Menthol's. And, now at 30, I think it's time to finally Q-U-I-T.
I have to admit, I enjoy smoking. I always have. I was never one to complain about cigarette smoke or the smell. I kind of liked it! I read a quote a loooong time ago, from the Czech supermodel Paulina Porizkova where she said "I enjoy cigarette smoke, I'm European". I always liked that. Call me weird; others do.
But I never felt the need to kick the habit, ever. Until now. Mainly, I am embarrassed to say it's because I now have a "cough". It bothers me and well, kind of frightens me. I'm too young to feel like death in the morning, hacking up a lung. And, it's not very attractive, I'm sure.
So, for my health, my daughter's health and hey, to save a few bucks, goodbye beloved cigarettes. I'll miss you.


2 comments:

wendyjust4u said...

Isn't that funny! I liked the smell too when I was in grade school! I used to open the coat closet at my parents and "smell" Grpa's (Dad) old tweed jacket that he wore to work almost every day. He smoked a lot in that jacket. Grma (Mom) caught me one time and asked what I was doing. When I told her, I remember she had the strangest look on her face and walked away......I used to "sniff" gas at the gas station too.....wonder what that means? Cole's a "gas station sniffer" too. Go figure.

C. Lane Blackmer said...

I am proud of you sis... that's a big and tough step to make. I myself haven't givien up the habit yet, but I can see that it is only a small matter of time. Again, I am PROUD of you!!