Monday, October 3, 2011

Banned Books Week

source: American Library Association

 Banned Books Week is coming to an end. I wanted to pay special homage to it.

I have long been a supporter of anti-censorship - in all forms of media. Music, film, literature, art. I've even written several papers/essays on the subject.

I just don't agree with "someone else" deciding for everyone else what is acceptable and non acceptable. Obviously, there are certain subjects (rape, child abuse, etc) that GO WITHOUT SAYING. But, I am talking about religion, sexuality, beliefs that do not hurt others.

I was astonished to see some of these books on the list of banned material. Crazy!!!

Check out the list here at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_books

 Also, here is the link to support the National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC).
 http://www.ncac.org/Kids-Right-to-Read


Read on, peeps! 

PS. For my own self, I have actually started to seek out the banned material (books, film) and experience it for myself. I recently watched "Lolita" and have to say, I don't see what the big deal is/was. *shrugs shoulders.*

Guess it's true what they say; the more you make something "forbidden", the more curious people will be and the more popular it will become!

Okay, that was my 2 cents for the day!

No comments: